Joe (or Jō), also known as the Condor, is the deadliest of the Science Ninja Team and the most eager to confront enemies head-on, either blowing fighters out of the sky with bird missiles or overpowering opponents in direct martial arts combat.
Joe and Gatchaman characters were created by Tatsuo Yoshida and appear in anime produced by Tatsunoko Productions. Since their original appearance, Gatchaman has been through several incarnations and adaptations; the characters and the team itself have been given several different names each; Joe has also been known as Jason, Dirk Daring and Joe Thax the Falcon and the team has also been known as G-Force and Eagle Riders.
* * * * * * *
This fanart of Joe was to be a cinch since I could copy & modify from Ken the Eagle's 3D file, but then I looked at things like the awkward look of the cape.. so that had to improve ("No capes!" I keep imagining Edna Mode shouting). I had to juggle a few other ideas that vied for my attention, and then, work & home life got in the way and before I knew it, almost a year had passed. But, here we finally are.
As with Jun the Swan I'm pleased with this background thanks to a couple more of Victoria Goodman's images I composited together. Again it's become a bit of an homage to Alex Ross and his amazing Battle of the Planets paintings .
- Gatchaman concept, characters and designs are copyright (c) Tatsunoko Productions
- Do an image search on the net for "gatchaman" or "joe the condor" and you're bound to see several instances of the awesome drawn & painted artwork that I've (with some effort) based this rendered pose & camera angle off. Most of the found instances accompany articles with references to the game Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars, so I presume that's where the artwork originated from; though I'd love to hear from anyone who knows who created it & who it actually belongs to.
- Carrara 7 & 8 Pro
- Photoshop: Compositing, resizing, colour-adjustment, touch-up & signaturing
- Figure: Daz 3D's Genesis with Michael & Hiro morphs
- Bodysuit: Hiro 4 Upgrade of M4 Bodysuit
- Modeled & textured by me: Helmet & design, chest symbol, cape, belt buckle, pistol & holster
- Tweaked & composited from a couple of images from superb collections, '30 Sky Backgrounds' & '30 More Sky Backgrounds' by Victoria Goodman
* * * * * * *
So, I've changed the shading of the suit and the symbol, in effect, reversing which is darker & which is lighter. IMO, it's a bit better, but I'm not sure what you or others think. This problem's been with me since the early stages of colouring, actually .